- Research Direction：
- Soft Robotics, Underwater Robots, Medical Robots, Biomimetic and Control, Special-purpose Robots
Dr Zheng WANG graduated from Tsinghua University, China (BSc in Control Theory and Engineering), Imperial College, UK (MSc in Control Systems), Technical University of Munich, Germany (D-Ing. In Robotics, Institute of Automatic Control), and served as Postdoc Fellow in Nanyang Technological University and Harvard University, respectively. From 2014-2019 he served as Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Hong Kong, before joining SUSTECH in 2019 as Professor and Principal Investigator. Dr Wang’s research interests include: robotic design and control, soft/compliant robots, biomimetic robots and special-purpose application, medical/surgical robots, etc. He had successfully led and collaborated in over 20 research grants across EU, Singapore, US, HK, and China, receiving sponsorship from HK RGC, ITC, Shenzhen Technological and Innovation Committee, and major leading companies from Microsoft, Delta, Lenovo, MBrain, Hytera, Tencent, etc. Dr Wang is currently a Senior Member of IEEE and IEEE RAS, founding member of IEEE Haptics Committee, and Member of ASME. He had served as associate editor and reviewing panel for multiple academic journals and conferences. To-date Dr Wang had authored two book/book chapters, over 50 academically refereed articles, and over 10 patents.
◆Soft robots: high-performance soft robotic actuators and controllers, robotic hand/arm systems engineering
◆Underwater robots: dexterous, compact, and efficient general-purpose or biomimetic underwater robot design and control
◆Medical robots: compliant wearable medical robots, and compact high-DOF surgical/dental robotic systems
◆Special-purpose robots: dexterous robots systems towards special environment applications
◆2019.2-present，SUSTECH Dept Mechanical and Energy Eng, Professor
◆2014.6-2019.2，Dept. Mechanical Engineering, HKU, Assistant Professor
◆2013.2-2014.5，Harvard University, SEAS, USA, Research Fellow with Joint Appointment
◆2013.2-2014.5，Harvard WYSS Institute of Bioinspired Engineering, Postdoc Fellow
◆2010.5-2013.2，Nanyang Tech. Univ, Singapore, Robotics Research Center, Postdoc
◆2006.6-2010.5，Technical University of Munich, Germany, LSR, Research Assistance
◆2010.12, Technical University of Munich, Germany, D-Ing.
◆2005.9, Imperial College London, UK, Control Systems, MSc
◆2004.9, Tsinghua University, Control Theory and Engineering, BSc
Honors and Awards：
◆2019，IEEE International Conference on Soft Robotics, Best Paper Award Final list, pending
◆2019，HKX-FYP Plus Competition Best Project Award （Dental Surgical Robot）
◆2018，HKUEAA ENGINNOVATE 2018 Challenge，Gold Award Champion
◆2018，HKX-FYP+ Competition Best Project Award（Dental Robot）
◆2018，Robotics and Automation Systems (SCI-Q1) Best paper in 5 years（2013-2018）
◆2017，HKX-FYP+ Competition Best Project Award（Soft Robotic Glove）
◆2015，IEEE Inter. Conf. on Real-time Computing, Robotics and Automation 2015 Best paper Award (Final list)
1. Z. Sun, Z. Wang, and S. J. Phee, “Towards haptics enabled surgical robotic system for NOTES,” in International Conference of Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics (RAM) 2011, pp. 229‐233, 2011.
2. Z Sun, Z. Wang, and S. J. Phee, “Force feedback without sensor: a preliminary study on haptic modeling,” in International Conference in Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (BioRob), 2012.
3. S. J. Phee, Z. Sun, Z. Wang, J. Y. Y. Wong, and K. Y. Ho, “The Future of Transluminal Surgery,” Exp Rev of Med Dev, 8(6), 2011.
4 .Z. Sun, R. Y. Ang, E. W. Lim, Z. Wang, K. Y. Ho, and S. J. Phee, “Enhancement of a master‐slave robotic system for natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery,” Annals of Academy of Medicine Singapore 40(5), 2011.
5. Z. Wang, S. J. Phee, J. Wong, and K. Y. Ho, “Development of Robotic NOTES Platform,” Gastrointestinal Intervention, 1(1), pp. 40‐42, 2012.
6. Z. Wang, S. J. Phee, D. Lomanto, R. Goel, P. Rebala, Z. L. Sun, S. Trasti, N. Reddy, J. Y. Y. Wong, and K. Y. Ho, “Endoscopic submucosal dissection of gastric lesions by using MASTER: an animal survival study,” Endoscopy, 44(7), 690‐694, 2012.
7. S. J. Phee, N. Reddy, P. W. Y. Chiu, R. Pradeep, G. V. Rao, Z. Wang, Z. Sun, J. Y. Y. Wong, and K. Y. Ho “Robot‐Assisted Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection is Effective in Treating Patients with Early‐Stage Gastric Neoplasia,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2012.
8. Z. Wang, Z. Sun, S. J. Phee, “Modeling of Tendon‐Sheath Mechanism for Robotic Control,” Robotica 31(7), pp. 1131‐1142, 2013.
9. Z. Wang, Z. Sun, S. J. Phee, “Haptic Feedback and Control of a Flexible Surgical Endoscopic Robot,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 112(2): 260‐71, 2013.
10. Z. Sun, Z. Wang, S. J. Phee, “Haptic Modeling of Stomach for Real‐time Property and Force Estimation,” Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology, 13(03), 2013.
11. Z. Sun, Z. Wang, S. J. Phee, “Elongation Modeling and Compensation for the Flexible Tendon‐‐Sheath System,” IEEE/ASME Transaction on Mechatronics, Vol. 99, pp. 1‐8, 2013.
12. P. W. Y. Chiu, S. J. Phee, Z. Wang, Z. Sun, C. C. Poon, T. Yamamoto, I. Penny, J. Y. Y. Wong, J. Y. W. Lau, and K. Y. Ho, “Feasibility of Full Thickness Gastric Resection using Master Slave Transluminal Endoscopic Robot and Closure by Overstitch: A preclinical study,” Surgical Endoscopy, 28 (1), 319‐324, 2014.
13. Z. Sun, Z. Wang, and S.J. Phee. "Modeling and motion compensation of a bidirectional tendon‐sheath actuated system for robotic endoscopic surgery." Computer methods and programs in biomedicine 119, 77‐87. 2015.
14. P. Polygerinos, S. Lyne, Z. Wang, L. Fernando, B. M. Nicolini, G. M. Whitesides, and C. J. Walsh, "Towards a Soft Pneumatic Glove for Hand Rehabilitation." in Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intell. Robot. Syst., Tokyo, Japan, pp. 1512‐1517, 2013.
15. Polygerinos, Panagiotis, Zheng Wang, Kevin C. Galloway, Robert J. Wood, and Conor J. Walsh. "Soft robotic glove for combined assistance and at‐home rehabilitation." Robotics and Autonomous Systems 73 (2015): 135‐143.
16. Polygerinos, P., Wang, Z., Overvelde, J. T., Galloway, K. C., Wood, R. J., Bertoldi, K., & Walsh, C. J. (2015). Modeling of soft fiber‐reinforced bending actuators. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 31(3), 778‐789.
17. P. Polygerinos, Wang, Z., Galloway, K. C., Wood, R. J., & Walsh, C. J. (2015). “Soft robotic glove for combined assistance and at‐home rehabilitation.” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 73, 135‐143.
18. JTB. Overvelde, Mengüç, Y., Polygerinos, P., Wang, Y., Wang, Z., Walsh, C.J., Wood, R.J. and Bertoldi, K. (2014). “Mechanical and electrical numerical analysis of soft liquid‐embedded deformation sensors analysis”. Extreme Mechanics Letters, 1, 42‐46.
19. Wang, Z., Polygerinos, P., Overvelde, J.T., Galloway, K.C., Bertoldi, K. and Walsh, C.J., 2017. “Interaction Forces of Soft Fiber Reinforced Bending Actuators”. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 22(2), pp.717‐727.
20. Z. Wang, M.Z.Q. Chen, and J. Yi. "Soft robotics for engineers." HKIE Transactions 22.2 (2015): 88‐97.
21. Z. Shen, Yi, J., & Wang, Z., “Design and Evaluation of Two Sensor Gloves Based on a Soft Stretchable Bending Sensor” In 2016 IEEE International Conference on Real‐time Computing and Robotics (RCAR 2016). Angkor Wat, Cambodia.
22. J. Yi, Shen, Z., Song, C., & Wang, Z., “A Soft Robotic Glove for Hand Motion Assistance” In 2016 IEEE International Conference on Real‐time Computing and Robotics (RCAR 2016). Angkor Wat, Cambodia.
23. Shen, Z., Yi, J., Li, X., Lo, M. H. P., Chen, M. Z., Hu, Y., & Wang, Z. (2016). “A soft stretchable bending sensor and data glove applications”. Robotics and biomimetics, 3(1), 22.
24. H. Zhang, Long, P., Zhou, D., Qian, Z., Wang, Z., Wan, W., Manocha, D., Park, C., Hu, T., Cao, C., Chen, Y., Chow, M., and Pan, J., “DoraPicker: An Autonomous Picking System for General Objects” The 12th Annual IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (IEEE‐CASE 2016), Fort Worth, TX., 21‐24 August 2016, p. 1‐10.
25. J. Yi, X. Chen, C. Song, and Z. Wang, “Fiber‐reinforced Origamic Robotic Actuator,” Soft Robotics, 2018 (in press, DOI: 10.1089/soro.2016.0079)
26. Chen, X., Peng, J., Zhou, J., Chen, Y., Wang, M.Y. and Wang, Z., 2017, May. “A robotic manipulator design with novel soft actuators”. In Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2017 IEEE International Conference on (pp. 1878‐1884). IEEE.
27. Zhou, J., Chen, S. and Wang, Z., 2017. “A Soft‐Robotic Gripper With Enhanced Object Adaptation and Grasping Reliability”. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 2(4), pp.2287‐2293.
28. Shen, Z., Na, J. and Wang, Z., 2017. “A Biomimetic Underwater Soft Robot Inspired by Cephalopod Mollusc”. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 2(4), pp.2217‐2223.
29. Yi, J., Chen, X. and Wang, Z., 2018. “A Three‐Dimensional‐Printed Soft Robotic Glove With Enhanced Ergonomics and Force Capability”. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 3(1), pp.242‐248.
30. J. Yi, X. Chen, S. Liu, and Z. Wang, “Customizable 3D‐printed Soft Origamic Joint with Effective Behavior Shaping for Safe Interactions,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 2018
31. J. Li, Y. H.W. Lam, T. C. Hsung, E. H.N. Pow, Z. Wang, “A Customizable, Compact Robotic Manipulator for Assisting Multiple Dental Procedures”, in IEEE International Conference on Advanced Robotics and Mechatronics (ICARM), 2018.
32. J. Li, Y. Zhang, Y.H.M. Lam, T.C. Hsung, E. H.N. Pow, Z. Wang, “Robotic System for Automatic Dental Restorations in Oral Cavity”, in 2018 IEEE International Conference on Real‐time Computing and Robotics (IEEE RCAR 2018).
33. J. Li, Shen, Z., Xu, W. Y. T., Lam, W. Y. H., Hsung, R. T. C., Pow, E. H. N., Kosuge, K. & Wang, Z. (2019). “A Compact Dental Robotic System Using Soft Bracing Technique.” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters. (RA‐L 2019)
34. Li, J., Shen, Z., Lam, W. Y. H., Hsung, R. T. C., Pow, E. H. N., Wu, C. & Wang, Z. “Control and Motion Scaling of A Compact Cable‐driven Dental Robotic Manipulator”, in the IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM 2019) (Under Review)