- Research Direction：
- electrochemistry and electrochemical processing, non-conventional manufacturing process, micro/nano-scale fabrication technology, Die and mold technologies.
Yonghua Zhao obtained B.S. and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology in 2009 and 2011, respectively. He conducted doctoral research on electrical discharge machining and electrochemical machining in Precision Engineering, the University of Tokyo and obtained PhD degree in 2015. He was later hired as an assistant professor of the department. He is currently a full member of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering (JSPE) and the Japan Society of Electrical Machining Engineers. He is also a member of the Research Affiliate Committee of JSPE and has independently chaired five competitive scientific research projects. His main research fields include fabrication of micro-nano structures on advanced materials by hybrid manufacturing technologies, bio-medical manufacturing, functional surface creation and micro-nano devices, etc. He has published more than 10 papers in well-known journals such as Electrochem Commun, J Mater Process Technol, Precis Eng while acting as a long-term reviewer for 13 well-known international journals such as Ceram. Int., J MANUF SCI E-T ASME, etc.
With the goal of frontier applications of semiconductor manufacturing, ultimate precision optics, micro components and biomedicine, Prof. Zhao’s research team conducts innovative research in the field of advanced manufacturing such as non-traditional and ultra-precision machining based on basic scientific knowledge such as surface science, electrochemistry, discharge, thermal fluid mechanics and so forth.
◆2011.10-2015.03 Ph.D, Precision Engineering, The University of Tokyo
◆2005.08-2011.07 BS, MS, Mechanical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology
◆2018.09-Present Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Energy Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology
◆2015.04-2018.08 Assistant Professor, Precision Engineering, The University of Tokyo
Honors and Awards：
◆2019. Young Researcher Award at the 7th International Conference of Asian Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (ASPEN 2019), Japan
◆2019. Promotion Award of Machine Tool Technology of Japan, by the Machine Tool Technology Promotion Foundation, Japan
◆2019. Overseas High-Caliber Personnel (Level C), by Government of Shenzhen, China
◆2018. JSPE Young Researcher Award, by the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Japan
◆2017. Best Paper Award at the 7th International Conference of Asian Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (ASPEN 2017), Korea
◆2017. Young Research Affiliate of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Japan
1. S. Zhan, Y. Zhao*, Suppression of cathode tool wear by a forward-bias voltage in pulsed spark-assisted chemical engraving, Electrochemistry Communications, Volume 111, 106643 (2019).
2. Z. Chen, Y. Zhao*, Investigation into electrochemical oxidation behavior of 4H-SiC with varying anodizing conditions, Electrochemistry Communications, Volume 109, Pages 106608 (2019).
3. Y. Zhao*, M.Kunieda, Investigation on electrolyte jet machining of three-dimensional freeform surfaces, Precision Engineering, Volume 60, Pages 42-53 (2019).
4. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe, A novel technique for slicing SiC ingots by EDM utilizing a running ultra-thin foil tool electrode, Precision Engineering, Volume 52, 84–93 (2018).
5. O. Flaño, I. Ayesta, B. Izequierdo, J. A. Sanchez, Y. Zhao, M. Kunieda, Improvement of EDM performance in high-aspect ratio slot machining using multi-holed electrods, Precision Engineering, Volume 51, Pages 223-231 (2018).
6. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, N. Obi, S. Watanabe: Development of electrolyte filtration system for ECM taking into account removal of chromium (VI) ions, Precision Engineering, Volume 49, Pages 211–219 (2017).
7. O. Flaño, Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe, Approaches for improvement of EDM cutting performance of SiC with foil electrode, Precision Engineering, Volume 49, Pages 33–40 (2017).
8. X. Lyu, F. Kimura, Y. Zhao, M. Kunieda, Y. Kajihara, Metal-polymer Injection Molding Direct Joining Using Electrolyte Jet Machining, The 7th International Conference of Asian Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, Nov. 2017, Seoul, Korea.
9. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe: EDM mechanism of single crystal SiC with respect to thermal, mechanical and chemical aspects, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Volume 236, Pages 138–147 (2016).
10. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe: Comparison study of foil EDM characteristics of single crystal SiC between in deionized water and in EDM-oil, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Volume 86, Issue 9, pp 2905–2912 (2016).
11. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe: Challenge to EDM Slicing of Single Crystal SiC with Blade Electrode Utilizing a Reciprocating Worktable, Procedia CIRP, Volume 42, Pages 185-190 (2016).
12. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe: Multi-discharge EDM coring of single crystal SiC ingot by electrostatic induction feeding method, Precision Engineering, Volume 41, Pages 24–31 (2015).
13. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe: Study of EDM cutting of single crystal silicon carbide, Precision Engineering, Volume 38(1), 92–99 (2014).
14. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe: Experimental Investigations into EDM Behaviors of Single Crystal Silicon Carbide, Procedia CIRP, Volume 6, Pages 135–139 (2013).
◆The group welcomes postdoctoral researchers and research assistants. We also actively recruit PhDs, masters and undergraduates with intense research interest.
◆The research in this group is interdisciplinary and we are open to students and scholars with interest in mechanical engineering (including energy engineering, thermal engineering and precision instruments), electrical engineering, optics, solid state physics and physical chemistry.
More information at : http://faculty.sustech.edu.cn/zhaoyh/