Yonghua Zhao obtained B.S. and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology in 2009 and 2011, respectively. He conducted doctoral research on electrical discharge machining and electrochemical machining in Precision Engineering, the University of Tokyo and obtained PhD degree in 2015. He was later hired as an assistant professor of the department. He is currently a full member of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering (JSPE) and the Japan Society of Electrical Machining Engineers. He is a member of the Research Affiliate Committee of JSPE and has independently chaired two competitive scientific research projects of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. He also participated in a number of projects, and undertook one major scientific research project of the Cabinet Office of Japan. He has published more than 10 journal papers while serving as a reviewer of multiple journals. He joined the mechanical and energy engineering of SUSTech in September, 2018.
With the goal of frontier applications of semiconductor manufacturing, ultimate precision optics, micro components and biomedicine, Prof. Zhao’s research team conducts innovative research in the field of advanced manufacturing such as non-traditional and ultra-precision machining based on basic scientific knowledge such as surface science, electrochemistry, discharge, thermal fluid mechanics and so forth.
◆2011.10-2015.03 Ph.D, Precision Engineering, The University of Tokyo
◆2005.08-2011.07 BS, MS, Mechanical Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology
◆2018.09-Present Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Energy Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology
◆2015.04-2018.08 Assistant Professor, Precision Engineering, The University of Tokyo
Honors and Awards：
◆2019. Promotion Award of Machine Tool Technology of Japan, by the Machine Tool Technology Promotion Foundation, Japan
◆2019. Overseas High-Caliber Personnel (Level C), by Government of Shenzhen, China
◆2018. JSPE Young Researcher Award, by the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Japan
◆2017. Best Paper Award at the 7th International Conference of Asian Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (ASPEN 2017), Korea
◆2017. Young Research Affiliate of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Japan
1. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe, A novel technique for slicing SiC ingots by EDM utilizing a running ultra-thin foil tool electrode, Precision Engineering, Volume 52, 84–93 (2018).
2. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, N. Obi, S. Watanabe: Development of electrolyte filtration system for ECM taking into account removal of chromium (VI) ions, Precision Engineering, Volume 49, Pages 211–219 (2017).
3. O. Flaño, Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe, Approaches for improvement of EDM cutting performance of SiC with foil electrode, Precision Engineering, Volume 49, Pages 33–40 (2017).
4. X. Lyu, F. Kimura, Y. Zhao, M. Kunieda, Y. Kajihara, Metal-polymer Injection Molding Direct Joining Using Electrolyte Jet Machining, The 7th International Conference of Asian Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, Nov. 2017, Seoul, Korea.
5. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe: EDM mechanism of single crystal SiC with respect to thermal, mechanical and chemical aspects, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Volume 236, Pages 138–147 (2016).
6. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe: Comparison study of foil EDM characteristics of single crystal SiC between in deionized water and in EDM-oil, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Volume 86, Issue 9, pp 2905–2912 (2016).
7. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe: Challenge to EDM Slicing of Single Crystal SiC with Blade Electrode Utilizing a Reciprocating Worktable, Procedia CIRP, Volume 42, Pages 185-190 (2016).
8. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe: Multi-discharge EDM coring of single crystal SiC ingot by electrostatic induction feeding method, Precision Engineering, Volume 41, Pages 24–31 (2015).
9. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe: Study of EDM cutting of single crystal silicon carbide, Precision Engineering, Volume 38(1), 92–99 (2014).
10. Y. Zhao*, M. Kunieda, K. Abe: Experimental Investigations into EDM Behaviors of Single Crystal Silicon Carbide, Procedia CIRP, Volume 6, Pages 135–139 (2013).
◆The group welcomes postdoctoral researchers and research assistants. We also actively recruit PhDs, masters and undergraduates with intense research interest.
◆The research in this group is interdisciplinary and we are open to students and scholars with interest in mechanical engineering (including energy engineering, thermal engineering and precision instruments), electrical engineering, optics, solid state physics and physical chemistry.